Transparent faltriquera glass that reproduces the silhouette The Siren, 1600. Royal Sanctuary of Our Lady of Las Nieves, Santa Cruz de la Palma (Santa Cruz de Tenerife).
Dimensions: 12 x 8 cm
Handcrafted by The Real Fábrica de Cristales de La Granja for the Prado Museum.
Warning: Last items in stock!
Aforetime, it was customary to carry a glass tumbler with an elliptical section in a pouch, or small bag, to be able to drink from the numerous fountains that were on the walks and paths. Generally, these faltriquera glasses, slightly flattened and therefore easy to transport, were personalized with names, dates and garland décor or other motifs, to their liking.
It was during the 18th and early 19th century when The Real Fábrica de Cristales de La Granja began manufacturing them both in transparent glass and cobalt blue with white strands, sometimes featuring engraved decoration and even fire-gilded. They became very fashionable just around the time in which spas were being developed across the Peninsula. Ship captains and some of their passengers, of course, brought their front pocket glasses with them to the new world.
The Real Fábrica de Cristales de La Granja, which has already collaborated with the Prado Museum on other exhibitions, such as Bosch and The Dauphin’s Treasure, has created a set of these glasses for the Return Journey exhibition using traditional glassblowing techniques: one in blue cobalt and another in transparent glass. The image chosen reflects the encounter between two worlds. A mermaid, a golden jewel, cabochon emeralds and rubies from an Andean workshop that recall the typical necklaces and earrings of Spanish jewellery.