Cobalt blue faltriquera glass that reproduces the silhouette of the jewel The Mermaid, 1600. Royal Sanctuary of Our Lady of Las Nieves, Santa Cruz de la Palma (Santa Cruz de Tenerife).
Dimensions: 12 x 8 cm
Handcrafted by The Real Fábrica de Cristales de La Granja for the Prado Museum.
Warning: Last items in stock!
Aforetime, it was customary to carry a glass tumbler with an elliptical section in a pouch, or small bag, to be able to drink from the numerous fountains that were on the walks and paths. Generally, these faltriquera glasses, slightly flattened and therefore easy to transport, were personalised them with names, dates and garland décor or other motifs, to their liking.
It was during the eighteenth century and the first half of the nineteenth when The Real Fábrica de Cristales de La Granja began to manufacture both colorless glass and cobalt blue glass with white threads, engraved decoratiopersonalised them with names, dates and garland décor or other motifs, to their likingn, and even fire-gilded. They became very fashionable coinciding with the development of spas in the Peninsula. The ship captains and, it seems obvious, part of the passage carried theirs on the way to the new world.
The Real Fábrica de Cristales de La Granja, which has already collaborated with the Prado Museum in other exhibitions such as Bosch, and The Dauphin's Treasure, has manufactured two faltriquera glasses in the traditional way for the Return Journey exhibition. The chosen image reflects the encounter between the two worlds. The mermaid, a gold jewel, cabochon emeralds and rubies, from an Andean workshop, which must be related to the pinjantes (pendants) or brincos (earrings) typical of Spanish jewelry.